Author Topic: Kantha Shashti  (Read 7187 times)

Offline Prakash Rau

Kantha Shashti
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:13:52 PM »
Hi Friends,

I remember my mum fasting for Kantha Shashti by only consuming fruits and milk, avoiding rice. Any stories for this event for Lord murugan and the significance of only consuming fruits and milk?

Prakash

Offline Shreekumar

Re: Kantha Shashti
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:08:52 AM »
Greetings.Sorry dont know much about that but i do know that the kanda Shashti Kavasam is one of the most powerful hymn/mantra in the world.I underwent training as a "cleanser" for homes in my teenage doing exorcisms and stuff.and nothing beats it..

Offline Susanth

• Administrator
    • NUS Hindu Society
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
Regarding Kantha Shasthi, which was about 2 weeks ago on the 15th of Nov 2007, it is the day on which Lord Murugan destroyed Soorapathman.

In Temples in Singapore, this battle is depicted on this day (Called Soorasamharam)
Its like a message to us to destroy with Lord's grace the "Asooran"(Evil) within us.

And yes, like what Prakash had pointed out, from what i know, this is one of the most sacred and powerful Virathams. The 5 days before Soorasamharam(which is the 6th), devotees take a very strict viratham and in India, it seems this 6 days, devotees stay in Temples and recite HIS Kavasams and Songs.

And yes, Shreekumar, as you had pointed out, Kantha Shasthi Kavasam is an extremely powerful Kavasam. Something that can't be completely described by mere words. Got to feel it and this Kavasam is usually recited by devotees in Temples on Soorasamharam day.

Offline gayathri

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:23:17 PM »
Yes exactly as wht susanth said kandar shasthi is for the victory of lord muruga destroying soorapathman.

and during this period the devotess who fast or even those who dont fast read the kandar shasthi kavasam which is believed to protect their health and boost their spirits.

Offline Shamini

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:53:54 PM »
Hi Prakash,

You had ask what is the significance of 'Kantha Shasti' fast. Firstly, Kanta Shasti fast is observed once a year in the month of ?Aipasi?. That is around the October to November time period.

We bath to keep our outer body clean rite? In this case, this fast is taken up for to clean the inner body. During the six days of Kanta Shasti, devotees many different forms. Like u mentioned, ur mum only takes in fruits and milk. Some other devotees for example, take one meal a day. So during this 6 days, the fast will help the devotee flush out unwanted substances and to clean the . The mind will be cleansed by devotional activities. With a clean interior and mind, devotee is able to present him/herself purely to god!  ;D

Shamini

Offline Susanth

• Administrator
    • NUS Hindu Society
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 04:26:05 AM »
The Kantha Shasthi Kavasam.. with Translation & Meaning can now be found at
http://nushindusociety.org/test/index.php/topic,1759.msg2578/topicseen.html#new
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:31:28 AM by Susanth »

Offline Chanchal

• ~Ch@nCh@L~
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:35:50 PM »
Nice discussion going on here ppl! I was also curious about this for quite sometime.. and this is what I found..

Kandha Sashti Viratham lasts for six days, starting with the day following the new moon in the month of Aswin, and is extremely important for devotees of Lord Murugan.

The sashti or sixth day of the full moon and the sixth day of the new moon are favorite days for Lord Muruga. Some devotees of Lord Muruga observe partial or full fast on each Sashti day and throughout the Kanda Sashti period.

The Sashti falling in on the waxing moon period in the Hindu lunar month of Aippasi or Aswin (October-November) is the day on which Lord Muruga is believed to have killed a super-demon called Sura Padman. This is commemorated in the six-day festival of Kanda Sashti as a symbol of perpetual destruction of evil by God. Each of these six days is, by custom, set apart to recite the glory of Lord Murugan from one of the six scriptures in His praise, namely: Tirumurukarruppadai, Kandar Kalivenba, Kandar Anubhuti, Kandar Alankaram, Kanda Sashti Kavasam and Skanda Puranam. Giant-sized images of four demons (asuras) are moved on uplifted chariots, and these are symbolically encountered and destroyed by the Lord.

For this festival only, the deity of Chinnakumarar comes down from the hill temple, kills the demons (asuras) at the corners of the four direction while on a festive procession around the hill, and triumphantly returns to His abode in the hill. This is on the sixth day, i.e., the sashti day. All the other events of the festival take place in the hill temple. On the seventh day, Muruga marries Valli. This divine marriage is celebrated both in the hill temple and in the Periyanayaki Temple.

Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:14:18 AM by Susanth »
“We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far.”

~Swami Vivekananda

Offline Susanth

• Administrator
    • NUS Hindu Society
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 12:15:40 AM »
    For this festival only, the deity of Chinnakumarar comes down from the hill temple, kills the demons (asuras) at the corners of the four direction while on a festive procession around the hill, and triumphantly returns to His abode in the hill. This is on the sixth day, i.e., the sashti day. All the other events of the festival take place in the hill temple. On the seventh day, Muruga marries Valli. This divine marriage is celebrated both in the hill temple and in the Periyanayaki Temple.

Hi Chanchal. What you had mentioned above, occurs at Palani. The full-magnificence of Soorasamharam, occurs in Thiruchendur.

Offline Susanth

• Administrator
    • NUS Hindu Society
Re: Kantha Shashti (Miracles at Thiruchendur on Soorasamharam Day)
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 12:24:20 AM »
And I have read & heard about 2 interesting miracles that happens at Thiruchendur when Lord Murugan as the Urchava Murthi(Processional Diety) is brought out of the Temple.

1. It seems the Sea would move back when He comes out of the Temple! (Note: This is the only point in South India, where the sea had moved back during the Boxing-Day Tsunami when everywhere else was affected). Puranically, this Temple is also the point where Lord Murugan played His Thiruvilaiyadal & destroyed the Asuran, Soorapadman(a personification of negative qualities in us).

2. Lord Murugan, Sri Senthil Aandavar's Moola Murthi(the main Vikraha) is usually covered with Sandalwood paste. On this day, when Soorasamharam occurs outside the Temple along the shores.. it seems some parts of the Moola Murthi's Sandalwood paste would be found visibly moist & wet. A Westerner had gone down to verify this occurence, to find a Scientific Explanation. However, he was not able to do so. This too, happens every year during Soorasamharam.